What is software as a service?
Software as a service (SaaS) allows you to deliver applications over the internet. This means no installation or maintenance, you just need a wifi connection to access it. Since businesses don’t need to invest in extensive hardware in order to host this software, they can outsource all development and maintenance to a vendor.
Since SaaS utilises the cloud, any of your employees can access any information, at any time, from anywhere in the world. This makes collaboration a breeze- Mike can be working on a document while Sarah is going through and editing or adding notes to that same document.
Many business owners realise that through developing their own custom software, they’ve solved a huge problem for their industry. They can then “hire out” that software to other businesses, which will pay a monthly or yearly fee to use it. This software as a service model can mean that the software you develop will quickly pay for itself, and you’ll be profiting from it.
Here are some reasons why software as a service is a great choice:
- No hardware costs– the cloud provider supplies all processing power.
- No setup costs– once the user subscribes, applications can be used immediately
- Only pay for what you’re using– beneficial for users requiring short-term use
- Scalable usage– easily access additional services or storage on demand without installing new hardware or software
- Automatic updates– updates are often deployed automatically and free of charge
- Smart device compatible– Apps can be accessed via desktops, tablets, and smartphones
- Customisable– customers can alter software as a service products to suit their needs and branding