Cordell Information (now owned by CoreLogic) is the leading authority on project activity and building cost information in Australia. The company is split into three divisions: Cordell Construction Projects, Cordell Costing Solutions and Cordell Tenders Online.
One of Cordell’s core values is to continually innovate in order to provide industry leading customer service. As such, they recognised the need to migrate their legacy desktop application to a modern web application, while at the same time minimising business interruption during the transition. They also wanted to reduce manual work by introducing new functionality, and new ways to interact with their customers. The Cordell Costings group had a bespoke building cost information database, but it was written in outdated technology and struggling to keep up with the demands of the business, so they engaged Intergy to rectify the situation.
Being a business software consultancy, Intergy Consulting was able to first analyse the complex back-end functions of the existing legacy application and then develop the one-of-a-kind intranet web application to overcome the existing performance and compatibilities issues.
Intergy’s software development process involved:
- Analysis phase, to have a clear understanding of the business logic.
- Identification of all technology needs for the business.
- Detailed project plan and execution.
- Data migration, including nomenclature, validations, indexing and partitioning.
- Development of an intranet web application.
- Output verification and validation to balance the application scalability.
- Usability and security testing to identify weaknesses in the application.
- Successful delivery of project on time and under budget.
With this new application, end users can churn through enormous amounts data instantly for real-time estimations, for improved decision making. Now non-technical users can make data-driven decisions. System administrators can generate publications, bulk update supplier, product, and price information to keep the database current.
The user interface has been substantially improved over the legacy system, by providing user friendly controls such as drag and drop, tabbed views, search on tree view, context menu listing and inline editing options.
Cordell staff are extremely pleased with the result, and have reported increased productivity (and reduced stress levels) due to the ease of use, additional functionality and performance improvements. Highlights of the system include:
- User friendly and intuitive UI for better user experience.
- Legacy app, migrated millions of records from old Oracle DB into Microsoft SQL DB.
- Collated, re-structured and categorized the extensive information from old to new application.
- Updated and purged the inconsistent and outdated data based on its usability and reliability.
- Implementation of table partitioning using SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition to optimize the usage of huge data and high transfer volumes.
- Customized “Ready to Print” Publications with full formatted structure.
- Reduced manual work by bulk import and export.
- Used “Web Garden” technique in IIS, to process user requests simultaneously to reduce the waiting time.
- Integrated “Telerik Grid” to enable both batch and inline editing functionality.
- Used “Telerik RAD Tree” controls to work more efficiently by using drag and drop child nodes, copy and paste from different nodes, selecting multiple nodes using keyboard controls.
- Customised report generation as per the business requirements.
- Data archival and history maintenance.
- Accurate and faster estimations.
Here are a few screenshots of the Construction Costing information database application
The team were not constrained to any particular technology platform this project, however the final selection was determined based on the functionality requirements that were documented during the Analysis and Design Phase workshops. Also taking into consideration the user stories, future scalability and end devices that were earmarked for the sites consumption. We ultimately settled on Microsoft technologies.
Call to Action
If you need to migrate a legacy application onto a modern new platform, give the team at Intergy Consulting a call 1300 739 117 to explore how we can assist in moving you from technology laggard to leader. If you prefer a call back you can also complete our contact form and one of our team will get in touch with you.